Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Grand Ideas

Knowing that I do love knitting pretty things, I have to say that I do love pretty yarn too. And lately, I've had this need to not only knit pretty things, but make and knit with pretty yarn. As awesome as it is to find pretty yarn on the interwebs, they are a bit pricey. But they are oh so pretty.

As I've mentioned before, I have my bouts of insomnia. This time I woke up at 2am and couldn't get back to sleep. During this night of sleeplessness, I looked into hand painting and dyeing and... so much happy. Like mind-asploding happy. I never knew it was so easy. After watching several YouTube videos, and reading articles upon articles on how to do this, I MUST DO THIS RIGHT NAO.

Just thinking about all the pretty things I could make with the pretty yarn that I will one day make... It keeps me up at night.

Of course I will need to start small. Do something simple until I get the hang of it then let my imagination run wild with colours and ideas. My mind has already gone there. It's like the moment I knew I wanted to do this, I knew the types of colours I wanted to work with and what types of yarn I want to make. I started to jot down my ideas and came up with this enormous list. Which I most likely will not be able to knit with it all. But they will be so pretty.

After hours of thinking about what I wanted to dye and paint, and what colours I was going to use, I started thinking about actually making my own yarn. Spinning. I was never so interested in it before. But I open this door to create and now I don't think I can close it. I've spent the past few hours looking into it and realizing that I use to do it when I was younger. That my family actually does it. And that my family has lots and LOTS OF SHEEP. LOTS OF WOOL.  AND THEN!! I remembered... I HAVE SHEEP!

I have my own sheep. Kind of. I have land on the Navajo Rez and all of the family who lives there has sheep. And I have sheep that my Uncle looks after. (I inherited from my mom, who inherited it from my grandpa.) OMG THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!!!

And that's when I realized that I'm becoming a Fiber Fiend.

I also realized that I could make my own rainbow coloured yarn and knit that noose for my Lover.


Then much later, I starting to think how long will my feelings about this will actually last.

 I should probably try to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment